If you have a big game, a big test, a big work presentation or a big job interview coming up, then it's not uncommon to look for any sort of competitive advantage that you can get to give yourself an edge.
When it comes to playing in a big game, you might focus on your diet and nutrition leading up to the event. For a presentation or job interview, you might meticulously review notes or talking points that you want to stress. For a big test, make sure you're in the right mindset can go a long way when it comes to how well you perform. But there's another common denominator that is often a catalyst to high-performance success when it comes to anything in life — and that's getting a good night of sleep. When you get a good night of sleep, you're doing more than just waking up refreshed and rejuvenated —you're putting yourself on a path to a healthier lifestyle. The right cooling gel mattress will help deliver a good night’s sleep., but This post will focus on some of the reasons why good sleep is so important. Let's take a closer look:
So why do You Need a Good Night's Sleep?
You know your body best, so only you know how much sleep you need to function at your best. However, experts agree the average adult needs anywhere between 7 and 9 hours each night to reach their top potential the next day. Here's a look at the impact of a good night's sleep (or lack thereof):
- Improved concentration, productivity: As we noted above, a restful night's sleep can help improve concentration and productivity — which is why it's reinforced the night before a big test or presentation. It's largely because sleep can help impact brain function. Poor sleep or shortened amounts of sleep are proven to lead to committing more errors, while adequate amounts of sleep can enhance problem-solving skills and memory.
- Maximize performance potential: Whether you need rest for a big game or just to be at your best on any given day, an adequate amount of sleep is directly linked to improved performance. Take athletes, for instance, where studies show that healthy amounts of sleep improve speed and reaction times. Less sleep has opposite affect.
- Heart health: Sleep isn't just good for your mental health, but for your physical health as well. In fact, studies show that individuals who only sleep for a few hours each night are at a much greater risk for suffering a stroke or being diagnosed with heart disease compared to those who receive the nightly recommended amount of sleep[ja1] .
- Diabetes risk: In addition to heart health, a lack of sleep is also linked to a greater risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Improved mental health: Speaking of sleep being good for your mental health, studies show that poor sleep is linked to a greater likelihood of depression. In fact, an overwhelming 90 percent of individuals who experience depression often have poor sleep quality. That's not to say that sleep quality is the only factor, but it certainly looks to play a significant role.
- A healthier immune system: To a certain extent, sleep is essentially a period where your body can recover and rejuvenate. It likely won't surprise you to learn that individuals who sleep less than 7 hours per night are about three times more likely to come down with a cold compared to those who receive more than 7 hours per night.
- Maintain a healthy weight: We've already covered a bevvy of reasons why a good night of sleep can be good for the body, and we'll round out this list with another one: If you sleep a healthy amount each night, you're more likely to maintain a healthy weight. In fact, poor sleep is one of the leading risk factors tied to obesity. It's largely because poor sleep is directly linked to hormones and motivation, and those who receive poor amounts of sleep may be less inclined to be active during the day compared to those who sleep well.
As you can see, good sleep is important for both the mind and the body. An important part of a good night's sleep is making sure you're comfortable when you retire for the night. That's where a cool gel memory mattress can pay big dividends, as it's proven to improve sleep quality for those who use it.
For more information on what a cooling foam memory mattress can do for you, contact Muse Sleep today :)