Study after study shows how beneficial meditation is for our brains and how helpful it can be to start our day with. Yet… so few of us actually follow this advice in our day to day. Maybe it’s because there is so much complicated info in the industry, and sometimes we need a no-frills, simple option? So we've gathered a couple of the easiest, quickest options so you can fit meditation into your morning!
Option A: No-Frills Breathing, 5 minutes
- Sit on the edge of your bed (or a chair) with your feet firmly on the floor
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and close your eyes
- Breathe deeply for 5 minutes. Don’t focus on the timing of your breathing, just let yourself breathe as deeply as you need
- If your mind starts to wander, just come back to focusing on the feeling of your breaths
- Continue until the timer goes off
- Begin your day mindfully and in touch with your breath, keeping you calm all day!
Option B: The Mindful Body Scan, around 3 minutes.
- Sit upright in a chair and close your eyes
- Take a few deep breaths and imagine the air filling your whole body
- Start the body scan by noticing your feet on the floor, the weight of them and what you’re feeling them touch
- Continue following the sensation up your body, taking time to focus on each body part
- Relax any places you come across that may be tense, focus on them until they soften
- When you get to the top of your head- take a few more deep breaths, imagining the sensation in your whole body
- Open your eyes and start your day in a much more mindful place!